Sunday, September 10, 2006

My Trip to Wal-Mart - Ticonderoga

Yes indeed, I went. The parking lot was less than 1/3 full. I went into the store to check things out and to buy a black belt. I found the belts, a very small, picked over selection of very cheap leather belts. I bought one for $11.95 that probably cost $2 to make. Luckly I won't be using it much because it probably wouldn't last more than a few months with daily use. My everyday $20 solidly made belt is on it's 5th year. While there I checked out a few other things. I noticed they had 1 gigabyte SanDisk microcruz memory sticks on sale for $44.95. Not bad. But I got mine for $34.00 online. A no name 20" color TV for $88.95. I bought an RCA 20" last year for $94.00 but I bought it at Sears in SL, gladly supporting a downtown business. I really don't see the appeal.

Downtown Ticonderoga isn't even close to being as busy or vibrant as downtown Saranac Lake. And yes, they have several unused storefronts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

check out this article. The wall street article is core complete but I don't have on-line access to the newspaper.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/07/news/companies/wal_mart.reut/index.htm

Anonymous said...

The appeal of Wal-Mart is the PERCEPTION THAT THEY HAVE LOWER PRICES. You THINK you are getting a bargain because what you are buying is a few dollars less than if you purchased it somewhere else. But is the price really lower? The old saying "you get what you paid for" applies here. If you purchase cheaply made goods don't expect them to last very long. But people who regularly shop at Wal-Mart don't see it that way. They only see the immediate bargain. I guess it all boils down to the fact that we have become a nation of bargain hunters.